Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Back. And also - everything's different.

Well then. Um, how was your holiday?? Great, great. Mine was excellent, thank you for asking.

Hmm.

And your New Year's?

Fantastic!

Awkward silence. Writer looks down at feet.

So, am a little embarrassed by my prolonged absence, faithful readers. But I still love you like a fat kid love cake. Seriously. And now we're back in business!

I have no idea where to begin.

Should I tell you that I am traveling this week? That tonight I am traveling... in Manhattan? You know, where I used to live? Remember Queens? The new Manhattan?

I no longer live in Astoria. And yes, it breaks my heart, ever so slightly. Just ask my calm, patient, kind boyfriend, J, who lovingly sat with me in my empty apartment bathroom as I sobbed and sobbed, willing myself to give him a smile so he wouldn't think I had gone completely mad.

He also sat with me in my empty bedroom. And in my empty living room. He handed me rolls of toilet papers because I couldn't seem to stop the tears. I named this blog after Queens for JC's sake!

Damnit, fucking tears!

I am sitting in a Courtyard Marriott on 92nd and First Avenue. I've been living in a gorgeous home in Philadelphia for barely two weeks; and amazingly, in that short span of time, I don't belong here anymore. I don't live here anymore. I rode the 4 train downtown to meet Vanessa at our former favorite happy hour spot, and I felt like a poser; a ghost. When the woman behind the desk at the hotel asked me how my trip to the city was, I felt compelled to tell her that it was great; after all, I just moved to Philadelphia, from Astoria! Really! You see?? I really am one of you! Don't you get it, lady??

Writer heaves huge sigh.

It will get easier.

I mean, it has to! This is 2007, y'all. This is serious. And I am excited to report that it's January 9th, and I've already broken all of my resolutions. Unless, of course, my resolutions were as follows:


  1. Drink more.
  2. Er, drink every day.
  3. Don't exercise.
  4. Start drinking caffeine again.
  5. Sleep in.
  6. Forget B vitamins.
  7. Stick foot in mouth once daily.
  8. Leave laptop at security in Orlando airport.
  9. Frantically recover laptop in nick of time.
  10. Ignore blog.

Happy New Year, Internet. Happy New Year, Everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that piece of paper, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Randall Pink Floyd wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N." -Wooderson (AKA Allie!) ha ha

Homevalley said...

Couldn't have said it any better. Also, as a wise man once said, wherever you go, there you are.