Things I did not do on our recent trip to Los Angeles:
- Get drunk. (Crap, I miss drinking. I consoled myself thinking that before the end of the summer, I will get to drink a martini. And a mojito. And a vat of wine. Sorry, baby.)
- Sleep in, or even through most nights. (We ended up bunking with our little man when we had to abandon our charming Santa Monica bungalow that reeked of CAT.)
- Read a whole book. (I did download a book on my Kindle though! That's something right?)
- Sunbathe in Malibu. (Instead, I sat on the beach with pants, a sweater, and a towel wrapped around me, rereading The Happiness Project. The Pacific is cold, yo!)
- Visit Hollywood Boulevard and the Chinese Theater to take a million more gratuitous snapshots of my hands in Jean Harlow's and Clark Gable's.
- See Flavor Flav at a taping of Kimmel. But any excuse to use this photo:
Things I did do on our recent trip to Los Angeles:
- Got inspired! I got to spend some real QT with this lady, who has been a source of inspiration for me since I saw her speak at a Pennsylvania Women's Conference years ago (I didn't know then that we had a mutual friend). Plus, She is from Delco, my beloved county of origin.
- Journeyed to Manhattan Beach to meet one of J's good friends from high school and her husband. (Incidentally, also from Delco. We're everywhere.) She's also slowly taking over the world, and we may start working together soon. Exciting prospects!
- Spent lots of quality time with two good friends who are getting married in Greece this summer.
- Spent lots of time lamenting that we're missing the wedding and a bonus trip to Greece this summer. (I swear I won't bring it up every birthday, Newbie.)
- Attended a fancy cocktail party with a jet-lagged toddler who behaved like a true gentleman. He was contained, engaging, and didn't break anything. (He did ruin the look of the cheese plate by devouring all of the grapes, though.) Aside: He probably was on his best behavior because Jeff Franklin was there, and likely sensed that this man could propel him into fame with a few key catchphrases. (Now I might be projecting a little. But squee! Jeff Franklin! A man who brought us so much joy on Friday nights as wee ones. You got it, dude?)
- Hightailed it out of the party by about 8 PM, discreetly running for the exits past a group of Deal or No Deal models when H blew out his diaper. Ah, parenting. Remember to keep a sense of humor and hyper-vigilance and you're golden.
- Drove through UCLA's campus, Bel-Air, Beverly Hills, Sunset Boulevard, and the Hollywood Hills. I am a nerd for the Hollywood sign, and seek it out every time we visit for tons of photo opps. I can't help it:
We also had great dinners out; enjoyed decaf coffee from The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and regrouped. I'm so glad J and I agree that vacations are absolutely essential to a happy life. I always come back refreshed, rejuvenated, and ready to take over the world again. What more can you ask for?
Oh, it helps when toddlers behave on planes (Hendrik did great this go-round). You can ask for that too.